Sunday, June 1, 2014

HB CONCOURS VINTAGE BIKE & CAR SHOW + HARLEY NIGHT AT COSTA MESA SPEEDWAY

HB CONCOURS VINTAGE BIKE & CAR SHOW 

It seems like forever since I've posted on here, so I apologize about that.  I've just been busy with work and trying to find some new projects and ideas that inspire me to create something new and different.  Over the weekend I attended a couple really fun events so I figured I'd post about them this morning while I had a minute free.  The first event I attended was the 2014 Huntington Beach Concours Vintage Car and Bike show.  It is a two-day event here in HB that has taken place every year for the past 29 years!!  I only just heard about it this year so I decided to enter my 1975 Honda CL360 Cafe Racer into the competition not knowing what to expect.  The event is going on today (Sun. June 1st) as well, but I had a prior commitment so I was only able to attend yesterday.


Setup for the event was supposed to take place at 8am yesterday, however I ended up running late and didn't arrive until 9:10 am.  The event had started at 9:00.  Oops.  Fortunately, they still let me in and just wanted to make sure I had paid the entrance fees and what not before they put me in the judging. After talking to a couple of the judges, they got me and another bike builder in, who was also running late for the event that morning.  The bike you see in the picture above is the one I'm referring to.  The guys who built it were from their own company called O.C.D Coachworks.  Mark Maul and Robert Telfer were really nice guys and they did some incredible work on their CB750 Cafe.  I was happy to share the afternoon picking their brain along with a lot of people who came to the show.  I will definitely look to them for assistance with any future projects I have that requires work outside of my wheelhouse.  It's also nice that they are right down the street from me!  Not sure how I've never seen them before, but I definitely want to do my part in spreading the word about them:  

O.C.D Coachworks
15541 Producer Lane, Unit G.
Huntington Beach, CA 92649
www.ocdcoachworks.com

Mark Maul: 714-661-9424
Robert Telfer: 818-209-2913



I stayed at the event until they announced the winners at 2:00pm.  There weren't a lot of motorcycles in the competition so I knew I had a pretty good chance of taking something home.  During the event I even got asked to help out next year with recruiting more cafe racer owners who might be interested in putting theirs into the competition.  I will look forward to that next year!

They actually kicked off the announcement with the cafe bikes and I was the first name they called for the day with a 2nd in Class award for my Honda!  It felt pretty good to be honored for the hard work I'd put into the build but even more so to be respected by other builders and collectors that have been doing this for far more years than myself.



HARLEY NIGHT AT COSTA MESA SPEEDWAY


Later in the evening I met up at the Harley-Davidson Dealership in Huntington Beach to ride over to the Costa Mesa Speedway with about 60-70 other bikers.  It was awesome!  I've never been to the speedway before but it's basically a dirt track (see below) that flat trackers and side cars race on.  The bikes they use are one gear and just rip around the track.  I can't wait to go again.


The crashes make it even more exciting and luckily no one got hurt too bad, but as you can see in the picture below, there is one rider that ate it hard.  You can see as he is losing control and is headed straight for the wall on the right hand side.  He walked away from it.  They definitely make it look easy but I am sure that is not the case whatsoever.


 I sat with my buddy Chad Williams and his son Owen, and several other of his buddies.  They are a really nice bunch of people and it feels good to finally have some familiar faces in Orange county with similar interests.  Back in Los Angeles, I didn't have a lot of close friends that were into motorcycles.  The Costa Mesa Speedway is definitely one place I will be visiting again!


Thanks for reading and be sure to check back soon for more adventures!


No comments:

Post a Comment