Thursday, December 12, 2013

CAFE RACER PROJECT - BODYWORK, POWDERCOAT, RE-WIRE & CUSTOM SEAT

BODYWORK, POWDER-COAT, RE-WIRE & CUSTOM SEAT
Today marked a couple big moments for the build.  My quarterly bonus from work finally came through so I was able to fund the remaining (expensive) portions of my project.  It's all down hill from here.  All four things listed above in the heading, I am not able to do myself because of my lack of tools and experience.  If I am going to spend money on these things, I want them done right.  That's why I chose to return to Justin's Cycles in La Habra.  He and his partner, Rocket do great work.  Justin Hassan is the owner and the same guy I bought my original bike from.  Below is a picture of the front of his shop and the one below that is a view inside.  They specialize in Honda's, but can do pretty much anything.    


Justin's Cycles 
651 E Lambert Rd, La Habra, CA 90631
(562) 305-5225


Before I can start putting all these brand new, clean accessories and parts back on the bike, I asked to get the rear frame hoop made custom with an upsweep since I won't be using the stock seat and or putting a rear fender on.  All the tabs for the seat including the hinge, lock and old battery box will be cut off so it's nice and clean before getting powder-coated.  It will look like a completely different frame once I get it back.  I've included a few before pictures below so you can see the tabs I'm talking about and what not.  The center stand brackets are getting lopped off as well because I'm going kickstand only.  It's just unnecessary to have both and putting the bike to rest on a center stand is a lot more work than just using the standard kickstand.

That rusty looking square in the center of the frame below is the old battery box.  The new one will be powder-coated black along with the frame, will be much sturdier and cut from a more durable steel.  It will have a locking bracket with wing nuts on the opposite side so that I won't have to use a plastic tie to keep the battery from sliding forward.  Ultimately, it'll blend in a lot better and will look sleeker while still being accessible should I need to replace a battery in the future.

 
(BEFORE)

The seat I went with will fit closely in line with the frame and will be just thick enough to avoid crushing the shit out of my balls, but not too thick to the point of ugliness.  It is going to be black leather with a white, diamond-stitched pattern on the top.  I chose a diamond pattern for two reasons: 1. It has a vintage bike feel to it. 2.  It matches the diamond pattern on my Kenda tires.  If you go back to that post to look at them you will see what I mean.  I'm hoping this will help bring the bike together aesthetically.   The original CB360 below was a two seater, but this seat will be made for a single rider, meaning it will be shorter and there won't be rear foot pegs on the rear frame.  

 
(BEFORE)

The re-wire portion of the build can't be done until those other things above are complete.  I'm going to take my engine over to Justin's on Saturday to help me get these stripped bolts off and replaced with the allen bolt heads.  We will get it rebuilt with new gaskets at the same time.  Then once the frame is powder coated we will be able to throw the engine in her and they can get the re-wire rolling.  I'm not re-using any of the electrical pieces I took off the old bike.  Don't want the next owner to have to deal with it either (increasing value).  From what I understand, by next Wednesday everything but the powder-coat will be done.  Can't wait to see the results and begin the rebuild process!

I'll post "after" pictures for ya'll next week, so check back!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment