Sunday, December 8, 2013

CAFE RACER PROJECT - DRUM OR DISC




At some point, I got the idea in my head that I wanted a disc brake in the front.  I realized that this would mean buying a new front wheel, new forks, new front brake lever and all cables, calipers, etc. that go along with it.  I found a pair of new forks at the Long Beach motorcycle swap meet, bought a new front wheel with speedo mechanism/disc brake attached & tracked down a brake caliper to use.  After all the money I spent and time wasted on getting those items, I realized that the front forks I purchased don't fit into the triple-tree on the bike.  The ones I had on it when purchased were 33 mm, these were a 35mm.  Yes, I could try and find 33 mm forks or order a new triple tree, but instead I'm saying to hell with it and keeping the drum brake on the front and back.  It's so much simpler and less costly for me at this point.  I figured it would be cheaper to grab a new pair of front brake shoes and pads on EBAY rather than try and spend more time and money lining up parts for this front disc brake.  The other reason I gave in, was because the front wheel I bought was also going to need to be re-spoked.  The ones that came on the new/used wheel were all rusty and in bad shape.  New spokes run about $110 dollars min.  The front wheel that came on the bike was rattle-canned black, but at this point I was a pro with the paint remover, so I just picked up a bottle of that and went to town.  It polished up real nice.   I'll of course keep all the parts I invested in for my next project because I'm sure I'll need them, but it's been a learning process for me.  I don't feel like I'm compromising the look and feel of what I set out for, but am bummed it didn't work out according to plan.  

I picked out some killer Kenda K761 Dual-Sport tires and took them over with the rims to Motorcycle Wheel Works, Inc in Garden Grove to have them installed.  I also purchased new bearings for the rear wheel and new brake shoes and grooved pads for it as well.  I am running a 120/80 X18 on the rear and a 110/80 X 18 on the front.  Ultimately, I'm happy how they turned out.  Can't wait to get them back on the frame.    


Below is just a picture of the front brake hub with new brake shoes, pads and cotter pins.



New Rear Shoes


The front forks that came on the bike, I wasn't planning on using because of the need for a disc brake but I came back to them after I changed my decision on that.  I stripped off the same black paint that the rest of the bike was covered in to reveal a usable product.  I may re-paint them a different color to match the tank I'm going with because I'm not going to have a front fender, but we shall see.  I may still  do a small front fender with a little splash of color to bring the bike together.  I've seen a lot of pictures of other Cafe Racers and really like even a small custom one up front for looks.  I've got time to make that decision.


Right now, I'm just doing research and ordering any parts I'm going to need either off of EBAY or the Dime City Cycles website.  Essentially, I'm killing time until I can save up enough money to have four major things done:

1.  Powdercoat the frame
2.  New custom seat made
3.  Re-wiring of all electrical 
4.  Painting of gas tank


No comments:

Post a Comment