Wednesday, December 18, 2013

CAFE RACER/BRAT PROJECT - OLD SEAT, NEW SEAT

OLD SEAT, NEW SEAT
Early this morning I received an update from Justin regarding the custom seat I wanted made.  It was a great way to start out my day because it turned out better than I could've imagined.  The seat that came on the bike when I purchased it is in the first picture below.  Even though it was in great shape and had a cool look to it on the bike, I decided to sell it on Ebay.  It ended up going for somewhere around $100 dollars, which is a pretty good deal.  The seat was made using the original 75' CB 360 seat pan, so all the buyer would have to do is attach it to the hinge.  So far, it's the only thing off the original bike that I've sold.  I knew for sure that I'd be replacing that.  There seems to be a plethora of the other parts I won't be needing already on EBAY so I'm just going to hold onto them for now.  Who know's I may need them in a future project.

(OLD)
 The picture below is of the brand new leather custom seat with white stitching.  It has a slight kick on the back as you can see, which will fit nicely on the kick I'm having added to the rear body frame.  I chose a diamond pattern for one because it will match the diamond pattern in the Kenda Tires (also pictured below) and two, you don't see that many bikes out there with a custom diamond stitch.  I wanted to be different.  Overall, this was money well spent.  I can't wait to put it on the final product and actually ride this baby!  

(NEW)

 The only other update I've received from Justin is that the frame is now at the powder-coaters and should be done this week.  They had all the tabs cut off from where the old seat was and the center stand brackets, as well as the old battery box already.  The new battery box was welded on before he dropped it off to be powder-coated so it would all match.  I went with a matte black or satin finish rather than glossy because "matte is where it's at!"  Ha ha.  Seriously, it's kind of the new fad out here on the West Coast. A lot of people are getting their cars painted with a matte finish, so I thought I'd jump on the bandwagon as well.  I won't be showing off the paint color/design I chose for the gas tank until the project is complete, but I may drop some hints here and there.  Check back soon for more big updates!


1 comment:

  1. Who made the custom seat? It looks great. I have xs400 I'd like to along those lines with.

    ReplyDelete